Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Kielbasa Potato Skillet Dinner


So, I tried a new recipe tonight. I adapted it from one I found on Pinterest (of course!): 

Potato Kielbasa Skillet Dinner
1 # red potatoes or about 3 medium Idaho's, cubed
3 tbsp water
3/4 # smoked kielbasa or Polish Sausage, cut into 1/4" slices
1/2 c chopped onion
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard 
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
4 c. green veggies (original recipe was for spinach - I used 2 cans green beans, drained)
5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

First, I cooked the cubed potatoes and water in a covered glass bowl in the microwave until they were for fork tender. I have a slow microwave so it took about 7 minutes.
 

In a large skillet (make sure it's large - I ran out of room in mine - but then again, I doubled the recipe) on medium-high heat, saute sausage and onion in oil until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and saute about another 5 minutes until the sausage and potatoes are lightly browned.

While that's browning, mix together the brown sugar, mustard, thyme and pepper. Stir this into the skillet mixture and simmer for about 3 minutes. Stir in the green veggies and bacon bits and simmer until veggies are warm. Yields 4 servings.



DH gave this about a 6. He liked the taste of the sausage and the sauce but thought the potatoes and green beans were bland. I have to agree with him. My 2 sons haven't been home to eat yet. Son #1 has a 6:00 pm class on Wednesdays (yuck!) and Son #2 is playing in the pep band tonight for an Ancilla College basketball game. He should be done soon. We'll see what they think.

This recipe originally came from Recipe Shoebox blog. Check it out! Besides great recipes, one of the authors of the blog is sharing her adventure with her son who has leukemia. Reminds me of our schools journey with Christina.


2 comments:

gramma said...

Looks yummy, going to have to try it - have you ever used Crazy Janes seasoned salt? Really adds some zing to blah foods!

LeighAnnH said...

Crazy Janes? Can't say I've ever heard of it! A lot of the spices I use are from Tastefully Simple. :)